Green New Deal
The climate crisis is the true test of our time. Scientists have determined that if we do not act radically in the next 8 years, the effects of climate change will be irreversible and will cause catastrophic events. But I believe in our collective ability to adapt to the facts about the damage we are causing to the planet and to ourselves. I also believe that we can use this moment as an opportunity to further the cause of economic justice by creating millions of well paid, union jobs around green energy.
Local leaders haven't been adequately looking into cleaner ways to power our district, and instead have looked the other way as a fossil fuel burning plant has been permited to release 50,000 tons of carbon per year into the atmosphere, further endangering the health of all Northshore residents.
Together we will:
- Stop the construction of the Peabody Peaker-plant and ban future gas-powered energy projects
- Transform our energy systems to 100% renewable energy by 2030
- Enact a Massachusetts Jobs Guarantee to employ all who are willing and able in our transition to green energy
- Guarantee green housing, clean air, water and food for all
- Provide electricity, heat, hot water and internet access as public goods
- Provide free green public transportation (subway, high speed rail etc)
- Make massive investments in wind, solar and geothermal
- Work with local farmers on no-till soil, high tunnels and other green methodologies, provide incentives to protect local farm land from development loss.